Monday, April 28, 2008

Amitava Kumar's poems

After Jan’s talk about analyzing poetry last Thursday, I wanted to try to analyze some of the poems that we read for Tuesday. There were a couple of poems that I was trying to sort out. The first was “History” and the second was “Iraqi Restaurants”, both of which were written Amitava Kumar. I don’t have any overall thesis regarding the overall message of each of the poems. The following is simply my musings on different components of the poem.

“History,” as the title would indicate, is about history and how it is formed or conceived. I felt as if this poem discussed the way in which colonialism bastardizes certain elements of the colonized culture. The poem begins with the word “They”—indicative of many people, as opposed to the singular peasant. This creates the image that the peasant was outnumbered and the people referred to as “they” could easily overcome the peasant by pure force. I think that it is fairly obvious, but I think that the “they” refers to the colonizers or imperialists.

A common theme that has been brought up on several occasions this semester is the concept of silence, which re-emerges in this poem. The captors gagged the peasant before they removed his nose. The one thing that confused me about this poem was the significance of the nose. In addition, “the dark road” created an ominous and secretive tone to this stanza. It is as if the people who caught the peasant did not want anyone to know what they were doing.

Upon some online research on Wikipedia, I found the idiom “cutting off the nose to spite the face,” which refers to overreacting in order by self-mutilation as opposed to harming your enemy. While I’m still not sure if this connects directly to this usage of cutting off the nose, it was still interesting!

Finally, taking the nose to the museum seems symbolic of putting the nose/a piece of culture on display. By attaching it to the statue that is missing a nose shows that they are fulfilling something that is missing. But then, it almost seems as if they are trying to pass it off on their own. This is also seen in the last few lines “Thus was born the history/that is taught in schools.” Pieces of history of colonized cultures have been integrated into the dominant culture and passed off as “truth” and completeness.

Similarly, I thought that the poem “Iraqi Restaurants” also addressed the issue of tokenization and adoption of other cultural aspects. In the first stanza, the Americans were in Iraq. The statement that the Americans created ovens suggests that the Americans created a situation that would incubate and build heat. This is not a positive image—it made me think that the actions of the Americans build resentment and pressure in the Baghdad homes. The first stanza then ends with the word “waited,” which is mirrored by the break in the poem. It is as if the reader is waiting along with the Americans to see what would happen.

Finally, the second stanza talks about Iraqi cooks in the United States. I took the cooks to symbolize tokenized people. In many of the other stories we have read, food and cooking has been strongly correlated with culture. In “Out on Main Street,” the narrator talked about how she made herself learn how to cook Indian food because that is what she thought was expected of her. In this poem, it is as if the Iraqi cooks are responsible for representing all Iraqis and their culture in America. However, reference to “the Vietnamese before them” made me think of refugees of war and I was not sure what type of analysis this idea would inform.

So those were my random thoughts about the poems. I am a little rusty on my poetry analysis skills, so I hope at least a few things actually made sense!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I also wanted to post my analysis of "History"

I agree with Kim- I think that "they" refers to the conquerers. I also think that Kumar uses this to imply that she sets herself apart from this group and thus does not identify with them. Also, the verb "caught" gives a barbaric and near animal-imagery towards the peasant. In the next couple of lines, the author gives the context of the situation. The fact that the peasant was walking home alone in the dark road after a day of work in the fields assigns innocence to him. this could be the poet commenting on the fact that throughout history, many of the victims have been innocent. Furthermore, the use of the word "gagged" conjures a violent image and also gives the impression that the victim is silenced by the oppressors. This, along with the last stanza of the poem, made me think of the phrase "history is written by the conquerers."
I was also confused about why Kumar uses the nose imagery- I thought it was significant that they took something from someone of the lower class and gave it to a king to display in a "museum." I agree with Kim that this is a way of the conquerers displaying their "victory"

well that was my quick analysis of the poem before class, see you all in 40 mins

-jenny

Kevin Hsu said...

Wow, last blog post of the semester already. Doesn’t seem like any time has passed at all really. Unfortunately, this means that all the work that I’ve procrastinated on for the past couple months is finally catching up to me, coupled with presentations, more technical reports (yes the plural there is intentional and not the product of my poor English), and a final paper for a certain literature class that I may or may not have started yet, I’m finally feeling like a Mudder again. Perhaps too much so.

Anyways, enough rambling on stuff that doesn’t pertain to this blog post. I’d like to put in my two cents about Kumar’s poetry, specifically about the two poems Kim looked at. Firstly I have to thank Kim for providing her insight on the particular diction, symbolism, and possible allusions in the two Kumar pieces. Saved me a lot of thinking .

I was surprised at how powerful the two poems were upon initial inspection. Though they aren’t very lengthy, Kumar managed to convey a lot with these two poems.

To begin I’ll try to answer Kim’s question on “the significance of the nose.” To me Kumar is trying to convey how documented history is written by the political/ruling power at the time relating to that history. In the poem the nose is taken back to “the king’s noseless statue.” What this seems to imply is the imperfection of the rulers during that time period. By putting the placing the stolen nose on the statue of the king, the ruling power is covering something up. What Kumar seems to be getting at is the history that we know today is biased and incomplete because of the tendencies of rulers hide the ugly sides of their reign. This act of covering up comes at the expense of the common people. The peasant in the poem possibly represents the true history, and also the people that are silenced by the ruling power. By cutting off the nose of the peasant, only a portion of the truth is represented, and the rest is discarded.

“Iraqi Restaurants” is an interesting critique on American imperial power. Americans are portrayed in a very negative light in this poem. The “oven” referred to in the poem could symbolize war sparked in Iraq by the Americans. Kumar brings up the topic of the Vietnamese to hint that the reasons for war in Iraq is akin to the Vietnam war, that is to create a sort of dependence of the region on America; to increase the influence of America on the region. Dependence is hinted at when Kumar mentions the “Iraqis... turn[ing] up as cooks in the U.S.”. Kumar implies that the American military pressure present in Iraq is there to feed the American capitalist machine, just as the American presence in Vietnam had done to the Vietnamese (as far as marginalization of the two peoples is concerned).

Anyways so much for my last post. I didn’t really put too much thought into the structure of the writing unfortunately, so I apologize if it seems as if I’m just rambling at points. Good luck to everyone here for the remainder of the year and see you guys in class next week and good luck on your papers .

- Kevin